Tuesday, September 23, 2014

The Greatest Generation

Recently I had the honor of massaging a lady who was born at the tail-end of WWI (no, I didn't forget an additional capital "i"...) It was her first massage ever, so she was a little nervous and chatted throughout the massage.

She was a gracious, friendly lady who regaled me with snippets of her life's story (we would have been there far longer than an hour had she told me the whole.)

Three things struck me the most:

First, she was incredibly blunt and honest (and funny!)

Second, she told me after the massage that she was going to go home and have a beer.

Third, she gave me the best handshake I've experienced in YEARS. I'm not even joking. When/how did Americans lose the art of the good handshake? Here's a woman closing in on her 100th birthday, and she gave me a better handshake than anyone I've shaken hands with, male/female/young/old, in years.

I think it is an illustration of the decay of American society and good manners. Or maybe I'm just an old fuddy-duddy who lived in Germany too long. But I suspect the first...

4 comments:

Buck said...

I think it is an illustration of the decay of American society and good manners. Or maybe I'm just an old fuddy-duddy who lived in Germany too long. But I suspect the first...

I'll go with yer first.

Old NFO said...

I think you're right... First one!

DHenderson64 said...

I am with you. I hate with you get a weak handshake. And it is a sign of the decay. One of the most embarrassing thing that ever happened to me was a screwed up handshake. In my defense, I was only 15. Meeting my new Scout Master for the first time. It was the late 70's and I was young, so I tried to give him a hipster handshake. He was of the Greatest Generation and went for a traditional handshake. Talk about missing the connection. And I could see in his face that he thought I was an idiot. Lucky for me, we had many years together to prove I was not as big an idiot and he thought initially. Two things I taught my son, never get a stupid haircut and always give a proper handshake.

Unknown said...

Dịch vụ Kiem tra ten mien free từ nhà cung cấp tên miền iNET
Hướng dẫn Tao web mien phi cực nhanh và cực chuẩn, thiết kế web bán hàng chuẩn seo
Blog ga choi là nơi lưu giữ hình ảnh những chú gà chọi đẹp, noi cung cấp các kiến thức về gà chọi
Cung cấp Ten mien mien phi hãy mau đăng ký nhận tên miễn free từ inet
Dien dan hoc seo nơi chia sẻ kiến thức về seo và công nghệ
Dịch vụ Tim ban trai lam chuyen ay thât sự khiến cộng đồng mạng bị sốc
Dịch vụ seo chuyên nghiệp giá rẻ nhất. Chuyên cung cấp các giải pháp SEO, tư vấn SEO miễn phí
Chia sẻ Template blogspot miễn phí. Cung cấp các mẫu template blogger chuẩn seo